Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Dad's Day!!!!!

Does anyone remember the show "My 2 Dads"? Well I do, I specifically remember the bad '80's fashion it seemed to encourage.


Its Father's day and I want to pay tribute to the 2 dads I have had my entire life. Steve, my dad, and Brian , my step dad.

Dad, thank you for your love of movies, I (and my little sis) have inherited that love. One of my biggest childhood memories with you is going to the movies every other weekend. If it weren't for you, I never would have been able to recite the entire "Star Wars: A New Hope" by the age of 6.

Dad, thanks for your love of music. Anyone who knows me knows how important music is to me. Thank you for teaching me to listen not only to the song, but to the drums, the bass, and the guitar. Thank you for playing Journey and Billy Joel. Journey's Greatest Hits was the first CD I ever bought.

Dad, thanks for your eyes and lips. They are my best features and I only have them because of you.

Dad, thank you for picking me up from school everyday and buying me a slushy from QT and then carrying me in the house as I pretended to fall asleep.

Brian, thank you for teaching me that you can say more by saying less most of the time. Silence can be something we find our true thoughts in, while talking too much sometimes muddles our true meaning.

Brian, thank you for changing my diapers, and rocking me to sleep, and saving me from the scary scene in "Indiana Jones". I vividly remember you taking care of me when I was a young one.

Brian, thank you for fighting in Desert Storm. Thank you for being strong for our country and our family, this was a big lesson to me when I was only 9. I remember tying yellow ribbons on the tree at school for you and crying; praying so hard that you would come home soon.

Brian, thank you for not killing me when I was teenager, and more importantly thank you for not letting my mom or dad kill me. I know I can always talk to you openly and honestly about anything.

And to both my dads, thank you for wearing that bullet-proof vest everyday. I can still feel it from the times when I would hug you good-bye before work. You both risk your life everyday to protect and serve people you don't even know, and that is a beautiful thing.

Thanks Dads, I love you!

1 comment:

jess said...

Great post Marri!! That is so sweet.