Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Garden Update!!

Murphy keeps reminding me that I need to blog about our veggie/herb garden. I intended to post regularly about it so ya'll could see the progress but...so anyway, here it is all at once; you gotta love a billion pics right?



This is the garlic I posted about in early April, apparently you are supposed to plant garlic in the fall and harvest in the spring. You live, you learn. The second picture of garlic shows the pineapple sage as well. They are in the same pot :)







This is Nasturtium, an edible plant recommended for salads and such. It has a really bitter bite to it and in my opinion is better to look at than eat.





Our least exciting plant is the sugar plant; Although I do like how it looks as though it's trying to get out of the planter. It is supposed to be this great sugar substitute harvested when white flowers start showing...no flowers yet.




The peppers are doing quite well in this heat and we can't wait to try 'em. Murphy planted two varities, bell & chili. Only one bell pepper so far but lots of hot peppers!!







My personal favorite is the Santolina. An aromatic herb that smells amazing.





We use the cinnamon basil the most. Almost every time we cook we run out and grab a couple leaves. It adds subtle flavor but is super fragrant, and it's really pretty to look at too.






Two tomato plants, two tomatoes.





I don't want to leave out the tropicals, they are looking great too!! Thanks to Murph who does a great job of keeping them alive through many winters.






Stay tuned for composting and the front yard plants!! I know right, that was only the backyard and really only half of 'em.

5 comments:

jess said...

So cool that you're able to keep a garden alive. I didn't get that gene :)

Kate said...

ditto to jess...they call me the plant killer here at work.

Tara said...

Yes, I am dangerous with plants as well BUT I have a lemon tree in a planter that has not 1 but 4 lemons on it! I am SOOO excited! Chris is working on building a small greenhouse, too...

Marri said...

I must give props to my hubs, he keeps it all alive.

Jealous of the greenhouse, that sounds very cool.

AmCrabtree said...

Love the Garden...we have been doing one here in brooklyn but the squirrels have been getting the best of it! composting is cooking great though!