Sunday, July 18, 2010

You never know what the pantry might inspire...

Since I have been home more in the evenings (big blessings) I have been cooking dinner more (small blessings). I've been peering into my pantry on a much more frequent basis and there is some weird stuff in there for sure! I noticed an almost full bottle of rice vinegar the other day; probably purchased for some obscure failed recipe that called for an eighth of a teaspoon - I immediately felt bad for my husband since he most likely had to eat the outcome of said failed experiment.
I digress.
I set out on a mission to find a recipe that called for rice vinegar. A safe recipe that is...no need to go climbing Mt. Everest after falling down the back steps. I found this one and I must say it has become a staple at meal times at the Glannons. Thought I'd share it with ya:

Cucumber Salad (serves 4)
3 cups sliced & quartered cucumbers (about 2 med)
3 Tablespoons Rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon sesame oil (dark if you can find it)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon chopped green onion
2 Tablespoon chopped peanuts

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; toss to coat cucumber. Sprinkle with onions & peanuts before serving.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Oooh, that sounds yummy!!

Carol said...

Yes, it does sound yummy! And, we're buried in cucumbers from our garden.

ps--glad to see you're alive, Mari!

Marri said...

It's a perfect summer salad!

It's good to be alive Carol---I was starting to wonder where I'd gone ;)

jess said...

Mmmm that sounds awesome!! I need to grow me some fresh cucumbers...sounds delish!

Kate said...

lila new fav thing to eat all the tie is cucumber salad...LOVE IT! i'll suggest the peanuts though....i don't think she uses that...